Monday, July 20, 2009

Night of the Iguana

I had a terrible case of insomnia one recent night, and was writhing in frustration and self-pity when I turned on the telly and was rewarded with an unusual cinematic gem. Why are all the good flicks on at 4am anyway?

It must have been my third time watching The Night of the Iguana
starring the inimitable Ava Gardner and Richard Burton.

One of the most salient scenes features Deborah Kerr trying to soothe a hysterical Richard Burton as he struggles to release himself from the hammock which has become his prison. The women had tied him up, head to foot and suspended him there.

After pleading and grappling with a gorgeously drunken Ava, he admonishes Deborah Kerr's character with a rather resonant complaint, :..."I thought you were sexless. But you've just become a woman. And do you know how I know that? *you* like *me* tied up! All women, whether they wish to admit it or not, would like to get men into a tied-up situation."

Those lines always send me into wicked fits of laughter...

No comments:

Post a Comment